Friday, December 14, 2012

SenMi Soap Swap + Stabilizer Update

Another wonderful package came in the mail this week! I swapped some soap with Ksenija from SenMi Soaps and she sent me this lovely assortment of her soaps, all the way from the Netherlands!


The ones that caught my attention right away were Sweet Love and Foxy Lady. Sweet Love has a real smoky essence to it, and I love the bold black and pink combo. Foxy Lady is so fun looking, and the fragrance is a perfect match for this sassy soap! Big Blue is made with mango and pistachio butter, can't wait to try this one as I have never tried pistachio butter in soap before. The Lilac smells very delicate, very much like the flower. The Natural soap contains kaolin clay, which I haven't tried yet either. I also can't wait to try the Milky Way, Green Dew and Creamy Peach, oh my!  I'm so lucky to have such a nice variety of soaps to try! ! I feel so spoiled with all these choices...thank you so much Ksenija for swapping with me! You can check out Ksenija's blog here: http://senmisoaps.blogspot.nl/    and her Etsy shop here: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SenMiSoaps  


And, I also wanted to update you guys on some vanilla stabilizer I tried recently. Back in September, I posted this blog post about testing Christmas fragrances. I wanted to test the fragrances with and without vanilla stabilizer, as I figured the fragrances would turn dark because of the high vanilla content in them. I decided to try Nature's Garden vanilla stabilizer, which you can use at half the usual rate. Most vanilla stabilizers are used at a 1:1 ratio with the fragrance oil, but NG's stabilizer can be used at half that usual rate. Here is a picture of what the soaps looked like 24 hours after they were poured:

And here is an updated picture of the soaps with the vanilla stabilizer 3 months later:
You can see that the titanium dioxide didn't make any difference in the long run, but the vanilla stablilizer has held up extremely well (except in the Grandma's Kitchen fragrance!). Pretty impressive!
  post signature

18 comments:

  1. You will for sure enjoy SenMi soaps although it will not be easy which one to choose and try first! I am so happy that had opportunity to use them myself and it was such a wonderful experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How nice that you have tried her soaps too Gordana! I'm definitely having a hard time deciding which one to try first, but I think it will be Sweet Love :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for featuring my soapies Cee Gee! I am always surprised when I see my soaps elsewhere than on my blog or photo folder. It makes me really proud. I know, I know, I am a hopeless case of soap addiction... :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're most welcome, and thank you again for swapping! I'm glad to know I'm not alone in my soaping addiction :D

      Delete
  3. You've been getting some very nice soaps in the mail lately, Cee Gee! Ksenija's soaps are lovely. And the results of your vanilla stabilizer tests are very interesting. I had always thought that VS didn't work well in CP soap, but it has held up very well in three of your four soaps. Something for me to keep in mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was interesting too Jenny, it has held up much better than I expected. I should really try to embrace the discoloration rather than fight it, but it's nice to have this option for certain fragrance oils.

      Delete
  4. You are so lucky, Cee, but you deserve it :)
    I love the soaps Ksenija makes, she is very talented!
    And her blog is a pleasure: interesting posts, gorgeous soaps!
    It will be difficult for you to choose one for sure!

    Thanks you for sharing here your experiments about vanilla stabilizer!I haven't tried it yet.
    Have a nice we!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Natalia, that is very sweet of you...you have a good weekend too!

      Delete
  5. What a difference this stabilizer makes,that's really amazing. First time for me to see the same soap with and without it. Great idea to share this experience,NG should pay you for advertising them!

    Ksenija's soaps, well I envy you, but hopefully not for long, cos I think I might get some of those,soon! Can't wait!

    ....new soap,new soap,new soap.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, lucky you getting Ksenija's soaps too! I really appreciate being able to try other soaper's soaps, it really has opened my eyes to a lot of things I would have missed otherwise.

      And I must have got your subliminal message about new soap, ha ha! Go take a peek at my Facebook page ;)

      Delete
  6. Beautiful soaps you got from Ksenija, I love the colours. And your experiment is really cool. If you hadn't said anything I'd have thought that was all done on purpose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try to remember to post these soaps again in 6 months, will be interesting to see how they are then!

      Delete
  7. Love the vanilla stabilizer experiment!! Sounds like NG has a great product that I might want to look into! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy, I've been really impressed with it so far and I love that you can use less of it. I've set the soaps aside and will post what the soaps look like at 6 months for comparison!

      Delete
  8. Wow the stabilizer really makes a big difference! I need to get some of that stuff. Though I have to say I always love the natural brown in gingerbread and pumpkin pie soap. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sarah...I agree with you, some soaps are much nicer left to their natural colors :) It is amazing how well the stabilizer has held up, I'm quite surprised how effective it is!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Cee Gee i have been following your blog for sometime but is the first time i have decided to leave a comment. You have such and informative blog and i am enjoying every moment of it. Started from the very beginning. I have learnt alot. Thanks for sharing this. I used NG Stabilizer last night actually but i used it on the 1:1 Ratio and my soap smell like the stabilizer. i can't smell the fragrance at all i hope it fades out. Have you experienced this?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Alysia, thanks so much for your nice comments and I'm so glad you are enjoying the blog!

    I'm sorry to hear about your soap. I have never tried it more than the 0.5:1 ratio, so I couldn't share any experience with that. I see on their website though, that they have used it at 1:1 on occasion. Which fragrance oil did you use with it (is it a new one or a fader?)

    I would email NG and ask them about it, they have great customer service, so hopefully they will be able to enlighten you more. I'd love to hear an update if you find out any more information!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
10